Reportage about the cycling races in Mariadorp.
At the velodrome of the hamlet of Mariadorp (in the municipality of Eijsden, South Limburg), the cyclists ride laps around a dusty, unpaved track. The many spectators stand rows deep behind the fence, or sit on benches next to tables in the middle of the field.
Mariadorp was founded in 1913 by Fernand Pisart, the general manager of the local zinc white factory. He was behind not only the construction of the cycling track and the football field, but also the construction of 87 workers' homes, seven beautifully laid and landscaped avenues, and a spacious road with a double row of chestnut trees that led towards the factory.
The football association SVME began using the field in 1935. The site, which had a 2.82-metre difference in height, was levelled out in 1954, with the help of zinc white factory. Later, the site had to make way for a highway.
CrewNo crew information available.